Monday, August 18, 2014

Welcome to Memphis

Hi Everyone!

I am beyond excited to be embarking on an incredible extension to my Fund for Teachers experience!  Over the next six days, I'll be working my way through four cities in the American South - Memphis, Birmingham, Montgomery, and Atlanta - retracing the footsteps of the American Civil Rights Movement and exploring what connections can be made between experiences in the Southern US and my learnings about race, equity, reconciliation , and education in South Africa.  I'm thrilled to have the opportunity to be able to connect the windows of understanding I've been given between South Africa, the American South, and my own past and future experiences in the Twin Cities.

Yesterday I landed in Memphis, TN! After many delays, frantic runs through airports, and hangry moments, I'm here!  Today I'll be visiting the Lorraine Motel, where the site of Dr. Martin Luther King's assassination has been turned into a monument for peace and education, the National Civil Rights museum.  I'll also have the chance this afternoon to meet with a teacher who has worked in both inner city Memphis, and the surrounding areas.  Then, tonight, I'll travel on to Birmingham!

Another adventure - here I come!

~emily~

No comments:

Post a Comment