Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Introductions

"My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together." ~Desmond Tutu

Greetings!

I'm Emily Kjesbo-Johnson!  I teach high school math and theatre in St. Paul, MN.  This year I had the incredible honor to be chosen as a Fund for Teachers fellow.  (check out what the other St. Paul fellows will be exploring here!)  In less than 24 hours, I'll be heading out on the learning adventure of a life time - exploring education and reconciliation in South Africa!  I'll be doing my best to keep this blog up to date with my experiences and learnings along the way!

Below is an excerpt from my grant proposal, explaining a little bit more about my background and what I intend to learn, share, and experience through this fellowship:

Herman Melville said, “We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men.” If I had to give one reason for my decision to become a teacher, this is it! I am inspired by the belief that as a community, we bear responsibility to those within our realm. Teachers have incredible opportunities to support students in all facets of their lives –
academics, personal development, future dreams. This is why I have chosen to live and work where I do.  

The students who make up my school represent a diverse group of over 2,000 incredible young people. More than 90% of my students come from families in poverty. Over half struggle with limited English proficiency, and almost one in five qualify for special education services. Each day as they walk through the doors, my students bring with them incredible joy, curiosity, and
enthusiasm. Yet, many also bring great challenges, significant loss, and giant questions of identity and belonging.

Minnesota is home to one of the largest racial achievement gaps in the country. Many factors play a part in this disturbing disparity, yet there lies in every report one unavoidable fact: racial inequity is a real and urgent problem in our schools. In light of this problem, I will be traveling to Cape Town, South Africa to pursue learning in the footprint of apartheid. Even
though our society does not currently suffer under the intense conditions of apartheid-like segregation, our history of injustice has significant racial, academic, and personal effects. It has implications for how we teach and work with students, and the ways that we interact with families and community members.

Just twenty years ago, the people of South Africa lived in a devastatingly divided society under apartheid. Through incredible leadership, communities, and reconciliation, South Africa has demonstrated great transformation. I believe such transformation is possible for my community as well, through understanding and experiencing the complexities that have led us to this point. On my visit to Cape Town, the key questions I will explore include:

  • What is the history of apartheid and reconciliation in South Africa?
  • Despite a history of racial oppression, how do diverse schools and communities work together to ensure success for all members of their community?
  • What can South Africa’s reconciliation process teach me about creating opportunities for reconciliation in my school and community?


So...tomorrow marks the beginning of a 17 day international learning experience and adventure!  For now...bon voyage!!!

~emily~


No comments:

Post a Comment